Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bill 132: “Sex Education and Single Survival Mandatory for High School Freshmen”- Bill by Jill Nanini, Article by Ren B. Rope

In Bill 132 it is suggested that it be mandatory for all Montana high school freshmen to be enrolled in a sex education classes as well as a singles survival class. In these classes the students will learn about pregnancy, STD’s, protection, and how to survive alone.
I think this bill has a very important point, because not many schools here in Montana teach Sexual Education and when we are taught we are basically only taught abstinence. But how many teenagers really stay abstinent? My guess is not as many as adults may think.
I can only speak for my school here, and in my school there are far too many girls who become pregnant before graduation. The affects of teaching strictly abstinence is taking its toll on our Montana high schools. Some girls don’t even know what other options are out there to keep them from getting pregnant or catching an STD. I fi nd that pretty sad. We need to stop trying to keep everyone from having sex and teach them how to protect themselves from STD’s and teen pregnancy. It is a really great idea to start such education as early as freshmen year. I am not encouraging people to go out have an orgy or just have sex with anyone, but to be smart about it and learn about something other than just abstinence. Get protection, get tested, and just live your life safely. I fully support Bill 132!

No comments:

Post a Comment